A preview of Gering High School football

Trey Zwickl, Staff Reporter

It’s a new school year, and with a new school year comes a new football season. I got a chance to interview one of the new Gering Football coaches, Coach O, who is the offensive and defensive line coach. He is looking forward to building relationships with his football players and changing the culture. Coach O says, “I am very encouraged about how the team looks. They have done everything we have asked at this point. We are making huge strides to become the team we want to be.”

Going into this year, Coach O is looking forward to playing Scottsbluff. The coach says, “They have always been the standard in class B football and I’m excited to see how we measure up against them.” Coach O is also very passionate about his line and believes the offensive and defensive line is the most important part of the team. He says, “ We need to win the line of scrimmage to be successful on both sides of the field, and I feel like we have the dudes.”

The players are also very confident with the way the team looks this season. Senior Gerrett Conn, an offensive lineman, defensive linebacker, and a four-year starter, has high hopes for the season. He thinks the team is much more physical than last year. Conn says, “I feel like we are stronger and faster than we have been before.”

Junior Andrew Mount, who will be starting as center on the offensive line for the first time this year, is pumped for this season. He thinks the team improved on technique the most this season and believes it will be a big factor in how the team does against other teams. He also thinks practice is better this year saying, “It is harder and more intense than past years.”

Good luck this year Gering, we are excited to see how you guys do this season!