Goodbye Seniors!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Goodbye Seniors!

Jenna Balthazor, Staff Reporter

After completing high school many students at Gering High School will go their own ways. Some will go to college here, many will find a school out of town, and a few will choose not to go to college and go into the military or directly into the workforce. At Gering High School there were a few students that expressed why they chose the path which they were doing down. For some it’s the idea of college debt, for others it’s getting a degree, for a few it’s continuing their athletic career, and for all it’s on of the biggest decisions of their life.

Jon Bello, a senior at GHS is going into the military, “I am going into the military because the chance for them to pay for my education is too good of a deal to pass up.” Bello is going into the Airforce. He will leave any day after July 5th. “The worst part of going into the military is being away from my family and dog for long periods of time,” Bello said.

Caleb Andrews is another senior at GHS, Andrews is attending college at Chadron State in fall of 2019 is going into biology to become a physical therapist, “College is the right choice for me because it is a place I can go to expand my learning and get a good career to start out my life,” Andrews said. Andrews got three quarter tuition paid for his excellent grades in High School. “I am a little worried about going into debt but I know that I will be able to pay it off if I keep going through school,” he said.

Arianna Mitchell is going to attend WNCC and continue her education and volleyball career for the next two years. “I am anxious to go to college, it is a big step in life but I am excited to get started on this new chapter. I won’t have debt for the first year because of my volleyball scholarship, but after that I don’t know what will happen. I decided to stay here because I don’t like the thought of leaving my family and not being able to see them on a daily basis.” Mitchell said.

Another student that will be attending WNCC is Olivia Schaub. She is going to play volleyball with her classmate and friend Arianna Mitchell, “I am excited that I get to continue playing volleyball with my teammate.” Schaub will be going to school debt free. “ It’s an incredible blessing because I won’t have to worry about financial issues and will be able to focus on my school work in order to earn a medical degree. I am very excited.”

Riley Schilz a senior at GHS is attending Hastings in the fall of 2019. He is going to be playing basketball for the college. “I am going to attend a private college so it is a lot more expensive, I had to apply for a lot more scholarships and work a lot harder in school in order to get some of my college paid for. I am going into mathematics and actuarial sciences and hopefully going to become an actuary. I will be able to pay off a lot of my debt right out of college because of how much money and how much in need actuaries are.”

Deshon Hernandez has made the decision to not go to college and work until he figures out what he wants to do, “I am not going to college because school is not what makes me happy. I don’t want to gain debt and I want to go straight into making money. I am going to either stay here or go live with my dad, I haven’t decided yet,” Hernandez said. A few students at GHS are going down this road with Deshon. He hasn’t decided where he wants to work and whether the idea of college will come back up again or not.

As a senior myself, I will be going to college at the University of Nebraska at Kearney. I had contemplated going into the military and had a few chances to play college basketball, but when this decision presented itself, I knew it was time to be done with sports and prepare myself for college. I have been saving for college along with my parents since I was born. I have enough money saved up to pay for about three years. I am hoping to gain scholarships with good grades and by being involved in college. The idea of college debt is scary and does worry me, but the idea of not being ready and not being able to go into the career that I desire as soon as possible worries me even more.

I am excited to see what all of the GHS students accomplish in the next chapter of their life, and good luck to all of the graduating seniors!

About the Writer
Jenna Balthazor, Editor

Jenna Balthazor is a senior here on staff the, she is the editor of Blue Prints and has been on staff for three years. She has two siblings and has a goldendoodle...