Get out there and vote!

Adam Flowers, Staff Reporter

This year, in less than two months, I will earn the opportunity to do something that all American citizens have a moral obligation to do. I will get to register to vote.

Now, of course, I’m very excited about this privilege. Getting to voice my opinion and be a contributor of change in the community, and even the country, is almost a responsibility. Having that responsibility seems almost like a rite of passage. Although, there are quite a few people that are abusing that right and making it seem like just a chore.

Everyone sometime in their life has heard that short, three word sentence: “You should vote.” As overused and cliche as it is, it’s absolutely true and it’s truth upholds still to this day. Sure, there are few people that may think that there are millions of other people that vote, so one vote won’t necessarily matter, but that one single vote can be a step closer to change. Granted it may not be the biggest step, but every vote counts.

Amongst myself, many of my peers in my class will also be turning 18, meaning that we will all have the opportunity for voting registration.

“I want to have a vote,” said junior Emily Kaup. “It’s kind of like a part of being an American, I guess you can say. I know it doesn’t influence that much, but the essence of America is that you vote.” When Kaup registers, she plans on registering to vote Democrat.

It is projected that this much younger group will follow different trends than generations have followed.

According to the Pew Research Center, it is projected that our Generation Z (those born after 1996) will seem to follow similar social and political issues of Millenials (born 1981 – 1995). These political views typically lean more towards the left in comparison to those who are apart of Generation X (1965 – 1980), Baby Boomers (1946 – 1964) and the Silent Generation (1928 – 1945).

Pew Research Center goes on to explain that only 29 percent of Gen Zers and 30 percent of Millennials approve of the way president Donald Trump is handling his job. This can compare with the 38 percent of Gen Xers, 43 percent of Boomers and 54 percent of Silents.

The small percentage of 29 percent still does thrive. There are numerous people within the Gen Z group that do plan on registering for Republican. Junior Mark Karpf would identify as one of these people.

“I agree with their views more than anybody else,” said Karpf. “All their views are right where mine at.”

There will be a much higher influx in voters who would identify as Democrat, meaning that it will be rather difficult for Republican candidates to get votes from Gen Zers. This, of course, raises speculation as if Trump will be re-elected in 2020 or not.

Two extremely polarizing news sources, CNN and Fox News, both argue on opposite sides of the spectrum, CNN claiming that Trump getting re-elected is almost like moving a mountain, while Fox saying that Trump getting re-elected will be a walk in the park.

CNN states that Trump’s approval ratings are rather poor, with 45 percent of people approving his job and 51 percent disapproving. They go on to say that this is the only president that has not had an approval rating over 50 percent. Accompanied by this, CNN also states that his standing in key states is weak. It will be much harder for him to win the White House in 2020 without three key states that he can credit his 2016 victory to, which are Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan. Most states in the Midwest would align as red states, but the margin within these three states are very vital to him. If the numbers decrease in these states, then it will be more of a stretch for a 2020 victory.

To contrast, Fox News says that Trump has improved our economy. They elaborate by saying that within the first three months of the year, the economy grew at a 3.2 percent annual rate. Including this statistic, the stock market has also rebounded, thus making our economy number one in the world. Trump has shown that these pro-economic policies can increasingly benefit small business owners, full-time employees and part-time employees.

Whether you decide to vote red or blue, just know that as an American, it is your civic duty to vote. Your vote does count towards a better change in your community, and even your country.

About the Writer
Adam Flowers, Staff Reporter

I have been on the BluePrints staff since I was a sophomore. I enjoy performing, music, running, and naps.