Band and Choir Spring Concerts

Olivia Longmore, Staff Reporter

The Gering high school and freshman bands performed on April 6th in the Jr. High gymnasium. The Gering high school band opened the concert with three songs and were then followed by the freshamd band and small group performances. The High school band then came back together to end the concert. There was a brief intermission to announce students that received band letters. Gering senior Matthew Eckerberg was awarded the Loui Armstrong award and received the Gering Music Boosters scholarship. The Gering seniors also decided to surprise the directors with gifts for teaching them for the past few years. The head director for Gering High school and freshman bands is Benjamin Veillux. The assistant director is Natalie Prokop.

There were four solos and one duet that performed after the freshman had concluded their portion of the concert. The solos were as follows: senior Maddi Kinney on trumpet, junior Faith Kennedy on trombone, senior Eckerberg on tuba and freshman Braxton Rider on euphonium. The piano accompanist for the solos was Christina Boehr. The duet was unaccompanied and played by juniors Alethia Henderson and Victoria Brady on the flute.

The Gering mixed choir and harmony performed on April 7th in the Jr. High gymnasium. The mixed choir sang six selections picked by their director Shelly Muggli. Muggli has worked as a director at Gering high school for … years. Senior Kelly Snelling has sung in the mixed choir for three years. Snelling said, “We sounded so great this year. I really enjoyed it.” There were three solos, a small group and a piano duet that performed after the mixed group. The solos were juniors Makenna Onstott, Ali Boswell and sophomore Olivia Longmore. The small group seniors Ananna Millay, Delisha Neal, Logan Murdock, Maceo Ayala, Dakota Boles and sophomore Kayle Morris sang next. There was also a piano duet by sophomores Tayber Meyer and Madison Walker.

Muggli then took time to recognize students that received superior ratings and outstanding awards in district music contest. Muggli also recognized Lyndsey Gross for her vocal scholarship to the University of Nebraska Lincoln. After the harmony show choir performance, the concert concluded with seniors in show choir coming together to recognize the hard work that their director had put in throughout the years of their high school career.

About the Writer
Olivia Longmore, Staff Reporter

I am involved in mock trial, female lead in one act, speech, musical, tennis, Girl Scouts, jazz band, color guard, audition for honor choirs and all-state,...