Gering Boys Basketball Team Gains a New Head Coach

Back to Article
Back to Article

Abbi Madden, Staff Reporter

Kyle Cotton was named new head coach of boys basketball. He will be in position starting the 2019-20 season.

Cotton started his career growing up in the city Torrington and went to high school at  Torrington High School. He played basketball there and graduated in the year 2003.

He then went on to college Eastern Wyoming Community College he then played basketball there as well and graduated in the year 2006.

After graduating at EWC he then finished his degree and Chadron State College. He played ball there as well and graduated in year 2009.

At Gering he will be teaching at the Gering Junior High. There he will be teaching physical education.

“I’m not really sure why I wanted to become a teacher, I just kind of knew in high school it is what I wanted to do,” said Cotton.

Before coming to Gering, Cotton previously worked and coached at Lingle-Fort Laramie schools for three years and Minatare schools for seven years. All the administrations he has worked with and the students have impacted his career.  

“I decided to apply at Gering because Gering is a great community and the excitement with the new renovations. I also wanted to move up to a bigger school,” said Cotton.

Cotton knew that he wanted to become a coach because he has always had a passion for sports and it was just a natural progression, once after he was done playing.

“I am most excited to teach and coach at Gering because I am excited to get to know the students and staff, as well as the community,” said Cotton.

He decided to work with the middle school and high school age because he can be a mentor to them. He also likes to help them with their goals and wants them to achieve them.

“I like teaching because of the relationships you build with everyone around you in the school,” said Cotton.

Coming to Gering Cotton is full of high hopes for the program and what he wants the program to look like.

“My hope is that we can be a consistent program that competes for district and state titles each year. I also want all of our athletes to graduate and become leaders in the community,” said Cotton.