State HOSA

Olivia Longmore, Staff Reporter

Students who are looking at having a courier in health sciences have an opportunity to broaden their knowledge of medicine outside the traditional classroom setting. Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) is a Nebraska state wide club for schools to compete against each other in specific regions of medical knowledge. Gering high school HOSA students completed a medical quiz, the deciding factor to who would be competing in the state tournament. Every Gering student that completed this quiz was accepted into the state competition. Gering sent over twenty students in a variety of events on the eighteenth and nineteenth of March.

There are many events that students can study to compete in: sports medicine, medical terminology, medical assisting, forensic science, emergency medical technician (EMT), veterinary science, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), dentistry, and many more. Students choose one of these events and then are judged by either their hands on performance in a scenario or by online exams. For example, Gering sophomore Anna Ossian went to the state competition in veterinary science where she performed “restrained a cat for a jugular venipuncture.” Ossian also competed in the EMT with sophomore Tayber Meyer where they were judged. Ossain said, “they gave us a trauma scenario where we had to do spinal immobilization for a pedestrian that had been hit by a car.” This was Ossian’s first year in the HOSA club and has learned many health facts and procedures. Ossian said, “I have learned how to use an AED (automated external defibrillator) and how to treat shock patients.”

While there are some activities where participants might believe they understand the entirety about their subject, students in HOSA know that there is always more to learn about a body and its health. Gering senior Heather Davis said, “HOSA helped me because it made me get out and socialize more. I also learned many new things about many other occupations that I didn’t even know existed. It also gave me an idea of what all there is in the Medical FIeld and all the options I have.”

Competitors that have been ranked top three of their events are eligible to compete on the national level. Nationals will be held in June 19 through 22 in Orlando Florida. Unfortunately, the results of the state competition have not been posted at this time. Gering students remain optimistic about their chances. Senior Logan Moravec said, “The results haven’t been posted, but I think I made it this year.” Good luck to all of those who competed in the state tournament last week!