Gering DECA takes 16 students to State conference and qualifies four to Nationals

Adam Flowers, Staff Reporter

The Gering DECA chapter recently took 16 students to compete at the State DECA conference in Lincoln, NE. This year, the team will be taking four students to the National conference in Orlando, FL on April 27 – 30.

Gering DECA sponsor, Broc Brown, didn’t know necessarily what to expect this year at state, although the students met his goal of having half of his students get an award on stage.

“Every year, it’s tough. You never know what to expect,” said Brown. “I try to expect every student to get on stage at least once.” Eight students got on stage.

This year because of the decreasing number in participants at the State conference, the rules were altered. Typically, students who place in the top three spots qualify to the National conference, but this year, students who place in the top two spots would only qualify. This was  actually different for first time DECA member, senior Brandon Panattoni, who placed third in his written event in Integrated Marketing Campaign. His project was about how he could improve NASCAR as a service.

“I made the posters and looked at how I would be presenting them,” said Panattoni. “A couple of times, I talked to my wall as to how I would give my speech.” Panattoni also competed in his individual event, Sports and Entertainment Marketing.

The other three students that qualified were seniors Kyle Schroeder and Tommy Ganos as well as junior Hunter Walker. Their project was a written project about the Western Nebraska Pioneers in Sports Entertainment Operations Research.

“To compete at state, we had to write a 20 page paper and give a 10 minute presentation,” said Walker. There were four other groups in his group project and their group placed second.

As well as these six students, the other ten students that competed were seniors Logan Moravec, Nathan VanAnne, Spencer Lenoir and Johnny Castrejon and juniors Abby Madden, Karsten Norgard, Kobie Krantz, Matthew Bohlman, Eric Blue and Dyson Dollarhide.