Movie review: Glass

Jenna Balthazor, Staff Reporter

The 2019 movie, Glass directed by M. Night Shayalamon was a plot-twisting thriller. From the start, Shyamalan gave himself a difficult task- he mad a comic book movie that analyzes what makes comic book movies so popular while avoiding most of the element everyone loves about comic book movies. Glass resembled the cartoon movie Incredibles. Villains and heroes define each other and whether gifted individuals should ever be restrained from some greater good. This movie reminds me a lot of a super hero movies, which is probably why I like it so much, just like every other American. Shayalamon has found yet another way to make a twisted movie and has found a way to make our minds curious and work in a way the usually do not. Shyamalan has made his other movies, Unbreakable and Split, very similar to this one. Giving the antagonist some sort of power and hoping the protagonist can escape from it. Glass is the ending of this trilogy between Unbreakable and Split. Split was a very tough act to follow. The 2017 film got a lot of attention because of the angle it was taken at. Showing us how sick our minds truly are, Glass is brought together by three of the strangest people on earth. Three psychopaths that do not know why they were made the way they are, but a scientist takes advantage of that. After nineteen years of leaving him, super hero David Dunn has a new sidekick and a new name: the Overseer. In his mission to protect the streets of Philadelphia, he begins tracking the Horde– an array of personalities inhabiting one body who continues to chew the scenery both literally and figuratively. He performs this and makes his character hilarious and disturbing, making tickets worth the price of admission. Before the first act is even over, the Overseer and the Horde’s super-villain personality, the Beast, fight, getting them both caught and put in Raven Hill psychiatric facility, where they meet the very evil mastermind, Mr.Glass. For the long second act the trio mainly sit in boring hospital rooms arguing with the psychiatrist ultimately over who is better. Not too long after the second act does the fighting begin. When the classic Shyamalan twist finally comes, it serves up a message that runs counter to the idea that seem to be preoccupying Hollywood these days. But I am sure that for you it will be a little bit different of an experience, which is the beauty of all Shyamalan’s movies. There is no shortage of ways to view his movies, especially Glass.

About the Writer
Jenna Balthazor, Editor

Jenna Balthazor is a senior here on staff the, she is the editor of Blue Prints and has been on staff for three years. She has two siblings and has a goldendoodle...