Gering Boys finish weekend 1-1

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gering Boys finish weekend 1-1

Hunter Walker, Staff Reporter

The Gering High School Varsity boys basketball team headed into its home game friday night against Chadron with a record of 3-5 looking for its 2nd straight win as well. The Bulldogs were Successful getting the win Friday outlasting the Cardinals by a score of 73-61. It was back and forth all night with both teams making runs. But the biggest run of the game was early in the 4th quarter when the Bulldogs jumped on the Cardinals going on a 14-4 run to really gain control of the game. Xavier Horst would lead the Bulldogs in scoring with 22 points, Riley Schilz would also have a nice night on the offensive end scoring 15 points. Getting this win would improve Gering’s record to 4-5 on the year and also give them a big confidence boost heading into a big rivalry game Saturday at WNCC against Scottsbluff. However the Bulldogs were unsuccessful while trying to get the upset on Saturday. The Bearcats were really able to put the game away early when in the 2nd quarter they went on 25-9 run which gave them a 44-21 advantage heading into the locker room. Gering would play better in the 2nd half but ultimately the Bearcats were able to come away with the easy victory by a score of 73-49. Gering had two players come away with double figures in points Henry Alvarez tallied 13 points and Xavier Horst would post 12 points. Gering will look to bounce back tuesday at home against a tough Torrington team. Then will head to Alliance friday night in a battle of the bulldogs.