Academic Spotlight: Rachel Rawlings

Abby Madden, Staff Reporter

In Gering we have many students that pursue excellence in both academics and activities. This is Rachel Rawlings our athletic  spotlight of the week. Here are various things about her that you may or may not have known.

Q: What motivates you?

A: I am a competitive person and I love competing. I also love the aspect of sports and being part of a team.  

Q: Are you influenced by anyone? Why?

A: I am influenced by my older sister. When she graduated she left such an impact on my life and on the people at this school. She was also a very talented athlete. I try to be like her in everything I do.

Q: Do you consider yourself a leader? Why?

A: Yes, I try to look at things in multiple ways of view and I try to make sure that everyone has a voice.

Q:Do you have a life motto?

A:Have courage and be kind.

Q: How often do you practice?

A: I practice when I have time. I am a very busy person and I try my best to practice when I can.

Q: How long have you been doing this sport/activity?

A: I have been doing cheer one year.

Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

A: I see myself graduated from college and teaching science at a school somewhere.

Q: What’s your favorite subject? Why?

A: My favorite subject is science. I love it so much. I like learning how things work, interact with one another, and it’s very interesting to me.

Q: How hard did you have to work to get where you are now? What’s your backstory?

A: I have worked very hard. As a child, I always had very high expectations from my parents and others around me. Especially around my older sister around. It has also been alot of late nights, filling out college applications and finishing homework.

Q: How much progress have you made since you first began this activity/sport?

A:I have alot of progress. When I started cheer, I wasn’t even able to touch my toes and now I can do that. As far as flexibility I have came a long way. As a person I have also grown. I have had to be patient and work with people and understand them.

Q:  What do you like about your sport/activity?

A: I like the girls on the team. I also like being part of the team. I love being able to cheer on other teams. I also love being a role model to younger girls that one day want to be a cheerleader.

Q: Is it difficult to learn all the hand movements and cheers?

At first, it was very hard because it was all new to me. Now several months into the season, I have become accustomed to learning new things.