Gering takes down Gordon Rushville

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gering takes down Gordon Rushville

Jenna Balthazor, Staff Reporter

The Gering boys basketball team had a great evening of basketball on Friday night. The Bulldogs defeated Gordon-Rushville, 59-36. Senior, Riley Schilz had a fantastic night scoring a game high of 17 points. Schilz was very grateful that they could get a win, “It feels great to get the win. We’ve had some hard gaems in the past, but we’re finally getting over the hump, and I think we’re going to be a tough team to compete against going forward.” The Bulldogs started out the game with a 14-7 lead after the first quarter. At halftime, Gering was ahead 28-17. Coming out into the third period the bulldogs came out firing improving the score to 44-26. Gering continued play together and as a team and improved their record to 3-5.

Schilz is seen as one of the big leaders on the team with many of the boys looking up to  him. “As a leader, I need to help get everyone hyped up so we can play up to our potential. I think we’re much better than what we’ve been showing people. We just need to put it all together,” Schilz said. Gering did in fact play as a team on Friday. They shared the ball well and had a combination of inside and outside shooting. As well as on offense, on defense they were very solid. Only allowing 36 points through the whole game.

As well as the boys picking up a win, so did the Gering girls. Gering was looking to bounce back after a tough loss against Scottsbluff on Tuesday. Gering pulled off a 57-49 win against the very scrappy Gordon- Rushville team. Scoring was very spread out for the Bulldogs having ten of their twelve players score. Kelly Snelling led Gering in scoring with twelve point, Paige Lopez had eight, and Arianna Mitchell had six. Gering really needed this win to prepare for the next week of big games. “I think we pushed the ball really well, and we passed the ball more. We waited for open shots, and we were able to get some passes into the post. I think that really helped us,” Lopez said. Gering was a little bit nervous going into the third quarter but Coach Land told the girls to keep their heads in the game, and that’s what they did.  Gering will look to pick up wins against Chadron on Friday at home, and against Scottsbluff at Western Nebraska Community College.

About the Writer
Jenna Balthazor, Editor

Jenna Balthazor is a senior here on staff the, she is the editor of Blue Prints and has been on staff for three years. She has two siblings and has a goldendoodle...