56,000 People Suffer from Mental Illness in Nebraska

Back to Article
Back to Article

Olivia Longmore, Staff Reporter

Mental illness is a disease of the brain in which it comprises and changes moods or behavior. Symptoms can vary depending on the severity of the sickness and what disease they are affected by. Mental illness can come in a variety of forms ranging from anxiety to dementia. There are five major categories in which a type of mental sickness can be classified, according to the mental triad health organization. The five categories include anxiety, mood disorders, schizophrenia/psychotic disorders, dementia and eating disorders. As with any health issue, there is a range of severity from mild to extreme. According to the mental health association, the most common disablements of mental health are clinical depression, bipolar disorders, dementia, schizophrenia and anxiety disorders.

According to the NAMI program, studies the statistics on mental illness in america, one in five adult americans (48.3 million) suffer from a type of mental illness every year. The article also provides the percentages for the children in America. More than 13% of children from ages eight to fifteen have suffered from some type of severe mental health issue, and the percentage increases significantly from ages thirteen to eighteen with 21.4% of the youth population in the United States suffering annually. It is understandable to look at these statistics with the realization that these percentages are comprised of the entire U.S. population. However, if we target specifically to our own state, there are more than 56,000 adults were diagnosed in 2014 with a type of mental illness and all reported having thoughts of suicide during or prior to the survey.

Clearly, these numbers show that there is a real problem within our county and community. Unfortunately, the mental health association goes on to say that, “Very few people, however actually seek treatment for mental illness. The stigma associated with mental illness is still the biggest barrier that prevents people from getting treatment or retaining their treatment.” which explains why the amount of mental health problems continue to rise in number and severity. One elucidation that can aid these citizens of our community is to simply be aware of these problems and ways to help someone suffering from a type of mental illness.

To be able to help the individual, you must first be able to recognize the symptoms of their health issue. The most umbrella symptoms that incorporate a variety of diseases in the brain can be lack of social involvement, extreme mood changes, mood seems down or sad, inability to cope with daily stress, detachment from reality, paranoia, significant tiredness, difficulty sleeping, extreme fears or feelings of guilt, confused thinking and the reduced ability to concentrate. There can be few or many combinations of these symptoms that may be the result of a mental illness, however not all people who suffer from one or more of these symptoms may have a disease. It is important to talk with the individual to see if they should or have visited a doctor about these feelings. Make sure you take what they have to say into account because one bad day does not associate with a chronic mental health problem.

Once you have an understanding of your or another’s feelings or disease there are many steps you can take to improve his or her mood. One tactic to help improve your mood is to do the opposite of what your emotions are telling you to feel. Another can be to do breathing exercises when you feel out of place or are overwhelmed in your current situation. One tip is to do what’s known as the five senses method. In this method you count five things that you can see, hear, smell, taste and feel. Finally, another method to help is to allow or accept what you feel. The mental health association states that, “once we recognize what we’re feeling, we can tackle it or whatever is causing it“. There are more tips like this that may be able to help with any type of mental handicap.

About the Writer
Olivia Longmore, Staff Reporter

I am involved in mock trial, female lead in one act, speech, musical, tennis, Girl Scouts, jazz band, color guard, audition for honor choirs and all-state,...