2018-2019 Government Shutdown

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018-2019 Government Shutdown

Paige Schneider, Staff Reporter

The 45th president of the united states issued a government shutdown at midnight on December 22nd. The partial government shutdown started when Trump requested 5.6 billion be added to a new federal spending legislation, which democratic politicians refused. This 5 billion is what’s needed to build trump’s famous wall. His current actions are contradicting his previous statement that “Mexico will pay for the wall.”

The shutdown has become the 3rd longest in history, and if it on the path to becoming the 2nd. It is currently tied with the second longest shutdown of September 1978 at a whopping 18 days, with the first coming in at 21 days long. Donald Trump says himself that the shutdown could go on for months or even a year, although he doesn’t want that to happen. The president states that “Schumer and Nancy Pelosi and myself can solve this in twenty minutes if they want too. If they don’t want to its going to go on for a long time”. Trump is no longer insistent that his wall should be made out of concrete – he says steel will work just as well, but Democrats are refusing to pay for the wall no matter what its components are.

The government shutdown isn’t good for federal employees. It has left quite a few of them on temporary leave, with essential employees being required to work for free. The American Federation of government employees calls the requirement to work without pay ‘inhumane’. Because of this, thousands of federal employees are applying for unemployment benefits because of the shutdown, as on Friday they are going to be missing out on their paychecks.

It’s not just government employees that the shutdown is affecting, its the public. The Smithsonian museums and the Washington DC National Zoo have closed, as well as many national parks around the world because of the loss of services. There is trash piling up all over DC because there is no one being paid to get rid of it. Although most of America isn’t directly feeling the effects of the shutdown, they will if it continues to stretch into February. Without federal funds, many assisting services don’t have enough money to provide their services to the public, some of which rely on them to live their lives. With no end in sight, how long will this shutdown last and what impact is it going to leave on America?

About the Writer
Paige Schneider, Staff Reporter

I am a sophomore, and this is my first year working as staff for BluePrints. My favorite color is red and my favorite thing to do is draw. I have been...