Gering Girls Show Improvement at Western Conference Tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hunter Walker, Staff Reporter

The gering girls basketball team had a impressive showing this past weekend at the Western Conference tournament. In the first matchup of the tournament of thursday the bulldogs suffered a heartbreaking loss to the Sidney Red Raiders 69-60. The Red Raiders forced the first OT by making 2 free throws with 0.1 seconds left in regulation. After out playing the raiders for the majority of the first overtime the Bulldogs found themselves up 3 points with 7 seconds left to force a second overtime. After a long game and overtime the bulldogs were physically and emotionally drained and would eventually fall to the a Red Raiders in double overtime 69-60. However the bulldogs would rebound well against Alliance on Friday night with a dominating win over Alliance by the score of 68-41. Gering was able to limit Alliance down low where they have there advantage with a tall team but Gering was able to battle and limit Alliance in the paint. The girls would also get hot offensively hitting a school record 11 three pointers led by senior Kelly Snelling with four three balls, Kiara Aguallo would add in 3 more trey’s and Paige Lopez and Olivia Schaub would both hit two threes. Heading into their 5th place matchup of the tournament Gering would be looking to come out of the tournament above .500 and they would accomplish this goal by rolling past sterling 64-39 on Saturday Kelly Snelling would come alive offensively with 21 points and young sophomore Kiara Aguallo would continue her impressive start to the season by piling in 13 more points. I had the chance to talk to Arianna Mitchell about what she thought about how the western conference tournament went here’s what she had to say, “I think we played really well and I was proud of how we played as a team I was a little disappointed with the way we lost to sidney but I was proud of how we came back from it”. The Gering Girls next game is thursday at Mitchell High School then they will follow up that game with a game at home against rival Alliance.