Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Johnson

Abby Madden, Staff Reporter

How long have you been teaching and where have you taught?

I have been teaching for 24 years. I have taught at schools around the Panhandle. I taught at Morrill High School for 10 years then I taught at WNCC for seven years.

What do you like the most about teaching?

The students. I absolutely love teaching. I love getting to know the students and all their different personalities. I just love teaching.

Why did you decide to be a science teacher?

I love the life sciences the most. Learning about the human body and all different animals and the nature that we are surrounded by. I love how everything is always changing, nothing says the same. I also love learning new things about the world and reteach it to my students.

What subject in the science category do you like teaching the most?

I like teaching biology and physiology because I like to learn about the human body and animals in our world.

What grade do you like teaching the most?

I like teaching juniors and seniors

What is your most memorable moment in your teaching career?

Moments when I know a student has been struggling and then you seen them grasp the concept that you are teaching them and you can see it in their eyes. Something that you are trying to get across and you can not get it across to them and I hear them say they finally understand it. That is what makes me the

What do you love about science?

I like how everything is growing and changing. It is a very interesting subject to teach because everything is constantly changing and everything is new.

What is your least favorite thing about teaching?

My least favorite thing about teaching is the discipline and class management because students should know how to behave and be respectful.

Are you excited about the new Freshmen Academy?

I am very excited about the new Freshmen Academy, it will be a neat change. It will great for not only me going back and forth from building to building teaching, it will also be great for the students that have to building to building for classes.

What are you most excited for?

I am excited for having the freshmen up here with us, we will be altogether. Plus those students who will have to go back and forth don’t have to do that anymore. It will be easier for the staff and the students.

In high school did you see yourself becoming a teacher?

Yes I did. I had three occupations picked out. I wanted to be a studerist, the traveling aspect excited me, but I thought it wasn’t the best option. Then I wanted to be a photographer, but did not get the schooling required for it. As for teaching, I have always wanted to be a teacher since I was a little girl. I used to play school with all the other neighborhood kids and I always wanted to be the teacher.

What is the craziest thing that has ever happened during a lab?

During a lab in chemistry when I was in Morrill, we were doing a lab with raw eggs. It got a little crazy and one of the eggs came out of the elastic and went flying and splatted down on the floor making a giant mess.

While in Morrill, we had a problem with mice. Every once in a while a mouse would scurry along the floor and one of the girls would get on top of the lab tables and jump from each one to another, while the mouse was on the floor.

What would students be surprised to know about you?

I think that some of the things I like to do. I like to go snowshoeing, I like to travel quite a bit, I am spontaneous and I like to do things at the spur of the moment. At school it seems like I have to be strict and very structured, but I don’t like to be this way outside of school. If people saw me with my grandsons, they wouldn’t recognize me because I like to play with them on their level. I am almost two different people.

If you could change one thing about the school what would it be?

I wouldn’t change necessarily the school, but I would like to see the attendance change. I have several students that are not here on a regular basis. I would like to see them here learning.

If you could pass a single piece of wisdom to your students what would it be?

I would want them to remember to look more into their future than they already are. Some students are just concerned about here and now, but they should also be thinking about 10 years from now what does their life look like.

Everyone wants a certain lifestyle. They want a certain house, certain vehicle, a family but everything is expensive. The only way to pay for it all is education. The more education you have the higher job and salary you earn.