Review of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”

Jenna Balthazor, Staff Reporter

On November 8th, 2000 “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” came out in theaters for the first time. This movie was a hit and has stayed around for the past 18 years. Whenever Christmas time comes around this movie plays on many channels across the world. Exactly 18 years and one day later, Dr. Seuss “The Grinch” was played in theaters. This version of The Grinch is closely related to the movie that came out years ago, but it is made to hit the audience of kids. It is a cartoon type movie unlike the older Grinch which uses people and more realistic characters. Scott Mosier and Yarrow Cheney co-directed this movie and came up with the idea to make the Grinch more appealing and less scary to kids. Many people argue about why they would try to recreate such an iconic movie, but I disagree. I think that both of these directors did a great job and found a way to make a classic a bit more fresh. In the classic movie they tell the tale of how a monster was created because of how he looked. This is a great message that everyone should get because of how kind the Grinch truly was before other kids influenced his life and made him feel bad about himself. The same things happens in the new movie but in not so much detail. But of course, you all know that. What sets this newer version apart both works in its favor and against it. The film treats Cindy Lou’s and her other friend’s obsession with Christmas because of the love and joy it brings them and not because of the many presents and physical objects the come with this holiday. As well as this they make the Grinch kinder and gentler. He treats his dog, Max as an actual dog and not like an object. Max and the Grinch are shown hanging out many times throughout the movie and Max is the Grinch’s true friend. It may seem like they have created a whole different movie, but they really didn’t . The movie keeps all of the same emotional beats as those before it, though it’s definitely a safe, risk-free endeavor. It is truly okay though because of how they beautifully animated the movie with great voices, especially the narrator, Pharrell Williams. At the end of the day, The Grinch was just a sweet, well intentioned update of the classic tale, blunting some of the original’s harsh edges. Despite all of the negative comments that many people have given towards this new movies it is truly just a story of positivity and generosity. In fact, many of the notes are familiar and can be a little too much alike the original film, but it works well and was well chosen for the movie. The movie has always been a favorite of mine and I was glad to watch a different version of it. Overall a good film.

About the Writer
Jenna Balthazor, Editor

Jenna Balthazor is a senior here on staff the, she is the editor of Blue Prints and has been on staff for three years. She has two siblings and has a goldendoodle...