Juuling kills

Back to Article
Back to Article

Juuling kills

Paige Schneider, Staff Reporter

The JUUL was first released in 2015 and has since become one of the most popular e-cigarettes available. It’s become the most popular form of tobacco use among teenagers in the U.S. who take a liking to the many flavors offered by the company as well as the sleek, USB like design of the product. A JUUL is an e-cigarette, or in other words, something that vaporizes nicotine as opposed to burning it. It produces a vapor instead of the regular smoke that a  normal cigarette does, but does this make it any less harmful?

A Juul uses ‘JuulPods,’ which are cartridges that are plugged into the e-cigarette and provide the nicotine liquid used for vaping. Although a lot of teenagers think that they are only vaping flavoring, a Juul is packed full of nicotine. The company states on its website that the liquid in a JUUL has “cigarette-like strength nicotine levels via JUULsalts™, our proprietary nicotine salts formula, in order to meet the satisfaction standards of cigarette smokers,”. It’s not just JUULs – the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that 99% of e-cigarettes sold in the U.S. contained nicotine.

Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health conducted a study of the vapors from 56 e-cigarette users and found hazardous levels of metal in them, including lead. These metals have been shown to cause cancers as well as liver and lung disease when inhaled. JUULs are located in this category of e-cigarettes.

A single JUUL cartridge is roughly equal to a pack of cigarettes, or 200 cigarette puffs, the JUUL website proudly boasts. A review left by TechCrunch, which is displayed at the bottom of the JUUl webpage, says that JUULs are, “An extremely attractive and compact little device that packs the same amount of nicotine as a pack of cigarettes into a tiny liquid-nicotine cartridge.”

The popularity of JUULS among teens leads them to consume large amounts of nicotine that can have varying health risks in the long term. Using a JUUL regularly can have harmful effects on brain development and memory retention, and it can damage the users prefrontal cortex performance. JUUL users risk suffering memory and attention issues on top of it. Nicotine is highly addictive, and so when you start it’s nearly impossible to stop, which is why nearly 85% of users who try to quit end up relapsing. There’s a simple fix to this – don’t start in the first place.

About the Writer
Paige Schneider, Staff Reporter

I am a sophomore, and this is my first year working as staff for BluePrints. My favorite color is red and my favorite thing to do is draw. I have been...