Dear Betty Bulldog

Betty Bulldog, Staff Reporter

Dear Betty Bulldog,

I am writing to you for advice about school. I have been so busy, and I didn’t have time to do my homework and it is due next period. What should I do?

Dear stretched thin student,

Homework can be very hard at times. Hard to do when you have a busy life outside of school, whether it is a job, an after school sport, an activity, or even if you are busy with family. No matter what, getting homework done can be difficult. When having a block schedule it tends to be easier. However, most students find themselves putting the homework off since it is not due the next day, and it goes downhill from there.

When in a situation like this, I try to do the assignment when in class if you possibly can. At the end of almost every class, in the last 10 minutes, that is when teachers start to wind down, give assignments, and prepare themselves for the next class. This is a perfect time to finish that homework for the next class instead of talking to friends and calming down yourself.

To prevent this problem from happening again and again, there are several things you can do. You can learn how to manage your time. In order to manage your time you need to start by taking a step back to look at your schedule and decide what is most important. Figure out what is your number one priority and go from there. Decide what needs to be done first. When going through priorities, school needs to be at least in the top 3.

If you have a job or an after school activity, homework needs to be worked on right after getting home from said activity. Homework can be finished, depending on what you have, in an hour to an hour and a half if you focus and work hard on that subject. Homework was not meant to be hard, it is meant to be something to help you learn and prepare for future steps. 

Another way to prevent this situation is to cure the disease of procrastination. Procrastination is just like a credit card, it is a lot of fun until you get the bill. Just like having free time and enjoying to have it when you should be doing homework, then having that decision stab you in the back the next day and be stuck in a situation like this one. Procrastination is not a good tool to have when it comes to homework, because homework can lead to late assignments, that can lead to whether you are on the downs list or not. No one wants to be on the downs list.

Try these tools about homework and see how it goes. It might help you right now or even in the future!

Sincerely,

Betty Bulldog