Gering girls fall to Sidney in first round of Class B Sub-districts

Adam Flowers, Staff Reporter

The Gering High School Volleyball team competed at the Class B, Sub-district tournament, hoping to win the title and advance on to the district tournament. Although they fought hard, they were defeated 3-0 by Sidney in the semifinal round.

Head coach Amanda Cochrane were proud nonetheless of how the team played.

“I have a lot of hard-working girls,” Cochrane said. “They have a true passion for the sport.”

They lost the first set 29-27, yet they persisted on. In an attempt to turn it around, they lost the second set 25-15, but the Raiders won 25-21 to end the match.

“We struggled with our passing, and I think that was kind of the difference.” Cochrane said.    

The team started well early in the match. They showed determination throughout each set.

“We had a great start,” Cochrane said. “But then we kind of let them back into it.”

The loss at the tournament ended Gering’s season 16-19, but Cochrane thought that the players made a lot of progress throughout the entire season. With that, the team has had numerous wins in the season.

“They’ve grown in a lot of ways,” Cochrane said. “It was a fun season. The seniors that I have are the reason for the chemistry on the team. They really formed a bond and made our team better. They’re great role models.”

Numerous Gering fans traveled to Alliance to support the team, in which Cochrane thanked the community for the amount of support the team has received throughout the season.

“Thank you to all of the parents, grandparents, students and other fans who have been supporting us,” she said. “They really made tonight enjoyable.”

About the Writer
Adam Flowers, Staff Reporter

I have been on the BluePrints staff since I was a sophomore. I enjoy performing, music, running, and naps.