Student Spotlight: Jassie Kaur

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Spotlight: Jassie Kaur

Abby Madden, Staff Reporter

In Gering we have many students that pursue excellence in both academics and activities. This is Jassie Kaur our academic spotlight of the week. Here are various things about her that you have may or may not have known.

Q: Who motivates you?

A: My uncle, because he has worked so hard to establish his family, home, and everything that he has or has had.Without my uncle I would not be where I am today.

Q: How did you get where you are now? What is your backstory?

A: My parents came to the United States from India, I was born in Alliance when my uncle was helped support my family and my mom. My dad later came to the United States after my first birthday. My family coming from India I have two names. My real name is Yadbir, but my uncle is the one who gave me my American name. I came to Gering in second grade and been here since.  

As of school life, when I was younger I was very shy, but I as grew older and met people. People who are now my best friends I started to be more comfortable with myself and have become more open.

Q: How do you maintain your grades you have now?

A: Honestly, I pay attention in class. I do the homework that is given. I turn it in on time and if I have any questions, I come in to that teacher and ask questions.

Q: Are you influenced by anyone?

A: My uncle is the person I look up to the most because he is now past away, but I will always remember what he has told me. He inspires me to work hard and keep working hard. He inspires me to keep on going and do not worry about what others say to you. He always tells me if you want to accomplish something, you can and you will accomplish it no matter what people say, don’t listen to them, listen to what you think is right.

Q: Do you consider yourself a leader?

A: Yes, when I have to be when nobody is listening or knows what they are doing and needs direction.

Q: Do you participate in any extracurricular activities? If so what are they?

A: I participate in One Act, Speech, Musical, and Tennis.

Q: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

A: I see myself with a degree in whatever medical career I want to go into and I will have a job in that field. I will also have a home, hopefully in California, and maybe a future life partner.

Q: What is your favorite animal?

A: Horses, I really don’t know why I like them, I just do.

Q: What is your opinion on homework?

A: I like it and I don’t like it. I like it because it allows me learn the concept that we are taught in class. I don’t like it because sometimes we get too much of it with all the classes we have to take each day.

Q: What is your favorite class?

A: I will say choir because I love singing.

Q: What are your hidden talents?

A: I am bilingual. I speak a language spoken in India called Pengabi. It is not a minority in India, but it is spoken by my family.

Q: Do you have a life motto?

A: I do not have a life motto, but I do like quotes. If I see a quote that pertains to me and I can relate to it on a personal scale then I will remember it. My favorite quote is “To make a difference in someone else’s life you don’t have to be brilliant, rich, beautiful, or perfect. You just have to care.” by Mandy Hale.

Q: What do you enjoy about school?

A: I get to see my friends, because outside of school I don’t get to see them very often

Q: Do you plan on going to college?

A: Yes, I am looking to go to a school in California or Washington.

Q: What do you plan to major in?

A: I plan to major in medical science, but I do not know what specific field.

Q: How do you overcome obstacles in life and/or in school?

A: I just take it day by day because I know that the problem is temporary, it’s not going to last, I will get over it. It’s something that is taking a period of my life time to allow me to grow as a person, and I know without it I would not be where I would be in the future.