Athletic Spotlight – Jeremiah Contreras

Abby Madden, Staff Reporter

In Gering we have many students that pursue excellence in both academics and activities. This is Jeremiah Contreras our athletic spotlight of the week. Here are various things about him that you have may or may not have known.

Q: Who motivates you?

A: My family motivates me everyday to be the best I can be. Family is a very big part of my life. My parents have influenced me the most because how they got where they are now and where they came from and their cultural standpoint.

Q: Are you influenced by anyone?

A: I am influenced by my mom the most, because she has done alot for my sister and I. She also puts food on the table every day.

Q: Do you consider yourself a leader?

A: Yes I do, I just have the different kind of mindset from most people. I like to think that anything is possible and try to have a positive attitude about everything.

Q: Do you have a life motto?

A: What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger -Kelly Clarkson

Q: How often do you practice?

A: I practice often, even in the off season I try to practice whether it is the off season for football or the off season for another sport.

Q: How long have you been playing football?

A: I have been playing football for six years, ever since seventh grade.

Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

A: In ten years I see myself living a pretty great life. Living in a decent house, maybe even a girlfriend. Hopefully living in California because that is where I am from.

Q: What is your favorite subject?

A: Math is my favorite subject because it challenges me to learn and it is stressful don’t get me wrong, but looking back you realize how hard you have worked for a specific goal.

Q: How hard did you have to work to get to where you are now?  

A: It is an everyday process, I can’t take days off and make it a habit to work hard and achieve things.

Q: What is your backstory?

I am originally from a town in southern California called Victorville same with my sister Gabby. From there I moved all around, pretty much everywhere. It was a big moving project pretty much. I came to Gering when I was in sixth grade.

As for my family my biological dad is not in the picture. My mom is from Hawaii, but she did grow up in a south east Asian country then found her way to the United States to find better opportunities.

Q: How much progress have you made since you first began playing football?

A: I have made a lot of progress over several years. I just wish I learned what I know now when I was younger.

Q: What do you like about football?

A: I like football because of the intensity. I like when I takle someone, it feels really good and I feel like I can rule the world. When I get hit it just makes me even stronger.

Q: Do you participate in any other sports?

A: I participate in soccer.

Q: Do you plan on playing sports after high school?

A: Hopefully playing on a scholarship for soccer, I know it’s going to be alot of work but I know I will work hard.

Q: How do you overcome obstacles in life, school, and sports?

A: I just think about what I have done good in the past or what has my family or friends have done good, and I just think about a positive outcome and make the best of my situation.