Nebraska school serves kangaroo chili

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nebraska school serves kangaroo chili

Jami Tarris

Jami Tarris

Jami Tarris

Olivia Longmore, Staff Reporter

Students hardly ever want to eat at the cafeteria, unless of course it is either chilli and cinnamon roll day or chicken strip day. One Nebraskan school employee in Potter Dix understood this and took it to an extreme. The employee thought that it would be healthier for students to eat kangaroo meat instead of the traditional beef. However, instead of asking the board of advisors and checking on the prices, the employee decided to use the saying practiced by many high school students, “ask for forgiveness rather than permission”. The cook also did not inform any of the students about this exotic lunch.

The New York Post explains the situation saying that the employee got the meat from the number one supplier of foods to public school systems within the united states. The USDA “does not believe it was dangerous” in any way. However, this type of exotic meat is illegal in the US. It is unclear how the supplier was able to ship the meat to the very heart of the United States. One parent complained that their child in the school system did become ill the day the meat was served, but it’s uncertain if the meat was the cause.

This story made it all the way to the headlines of major newspapers including New York Post, USA Today and CBS news. According to CBS, “School Fires Cook who served chili with kangaroo meat to students” this employee has been fired and a letter was sent out to the parents of students explaining the event. The cook recognizes that this was not a normal part of our usual diet, but says that it was absolutely not “unhealthy or dangerous”.

The superintendent of the school apologized for the incident and any harm or anxiety it may have caused. He made it evident that his goal is to ensure that another incident like this does not happen again. He continues reassuring that If the school were to serve an item that may be outside of the normal dietary needs of students, they would put it on the menu. That way students would have the opportunity opt out of eating that particular meal.

About the Writer
Olivia Longmore, Staff Reporter

I am involved in mock trial, female lead in one act, speech, musical, tennis, Girl Scouts, jazz band, color guard, audition for honor choirs and all-state,...