Cross country finishes the season strong

Abby Madden, Staff Reporter

With the bulldog cross country season coming to an end, three bulldogs showed off their talent at the state meet. The meet was held in Kearney on Friday, October 19.

The boys were expected to do really well, since they had just won runner up at the Class B districts held in Ogallala.

Overall, the boys placed 12th as a team, scoring a total of 158 points. The boys who ran at state include, senior Logan Moravec, sophomore Peyton Seiler, sophomore Logan Andrews, freshman Lucas Moravec, junior Riley Gaudreault, and junior Roberto Martinez.

Senior Logan Moravec was the highest finisher for the boys medaling 14th place for his last race of his high school career.

During his run, he gave he very best effort to be medalled. Moravec did not get into medaling position until the last 400 meters, when he used every ounce of energy to pass enough runners to place in the top 15.

“For awhile, I didn’t think I was going to medal,” Morevac said. “I was in about 20th place with about 400 meters to go. But something inside me just clicked, and I was like, ‘This is it. This is the last 400 meters of my high school cross country career. I need to give it everything I have.”

For the Gering team as a whole, Seiler was the next highest finisher placing 24th with a time of 17:38. Andrews was 83rd with a time of 19:37, Lucas Moravec was 86th with a time of 19:46, Gaudreault was 88th in the time of 20:05, and Roberto Martinez was 90th in the time of 20:16.

The girls team did send two runners as well, junior Tukker Romey and freshman Shailee Patton. Romey barely missing medaling, placing 16th with a time of 20:59. This was her third year participating in a state meet.

“I did not do as well as my previous years running at state, due to a lot of problems this year, but hopefully will have a stronger season next year.” said Romey.

Patton finished the race in 21:40 placing 31st.