Girls golf break their streak and qualify for state

Back to Article
Back to Article

Adam Flowers, Staff Reporter

The Gering High School girls varsity golf team captured the Class B, District 4 championship title, qualifying five girls for state, sophomore Madelyn Schlaepfer, juniors Kelsey Le, Ali Boswell and Avery Mitchell, and senior Megan Maser.

Head coach, Jessica Boswell, knew the girls were capable of winning the title. “It’s really special. Even though the nerves got the best of today, we were still able to pull out a first-place finish.”

The Bulldogs had an overall score of 350, with Scottsbluff capturing the runner-up title with a score of 359. Sidney placed third with a score of 396, taking the last state-qualifying spot.

“[These girls have] worked really hard to get to this point,” Boswell said. “It’s been a long time since Gering has won a district [golf] championship, so to win for their school this year, they’re really excited about it.”

The girls also placed five girls in the top ten, with Madi Schlaepfer leading Gering. She placed second at the meet. Following her was Kelsey Le, placing fifth. Ali Boswell placed sixth, Megan Maser placed seventh and Avery Mitchell placed eighth.

“Districts was the first meet I placed in the top ten and was my lowest score of the season,” Le said. “I practiced a lot and didn’t worry to much about my score while I played. I played it hole by hole and if I did hit a bad shot I just didn’t think about it too much. As a team, I did expect to win because of how well the other girls normally play.”

Her score was 87. Megan Maser and Ali Boswell both scored 89.

Coach Boswell said that her team is aiming for a top-two finish.

“If we play like we’re capable, we should be up there,” Boswell said. Boswell also said that they have played on this course before.

The Class B state tournament will be held on Monday and Tuesday in Columbus.