Debate: Bulldog Time

Abby Madden and Paige Schneider

Side 1: 

Habitudes is a series of books written by Tim Elmore. These books come in a series of four. Our school uses them in bulldog time for each class to read and study with. Reading habitudes has so many benefits that you as a student  may not think about.

Habitudes uses images that form leadership habits and attitudes. The books also provides many real life situations that we as students may face or have  faced and gives many solutions to these situations. These books also provide several skills we need as an adult in the work force and the “real world”. Skills we need to be a hard worker, a percerveing leader, and exceptional student.

These books use an image to explain each topic and what the moral of the story is going to be about. Within each topic, there are a set of questions that the author wants students to reflect on themselves and evaluate what skills the students need to improve or gain. Each topic, is only about two pages but is full of useful information and skills.

By reading these books teaches students in a style unique to these books called EPIC, which stands for Experiential, Participatory, Image- driven and Connected.

In some schools the program has been shown to benefit several aspects of schools, including a reduction in disciplinary referrals, an increase in attendance rates, an increase in academic performance and the creation of a culture of leadership in the school.

Habitudes also causes students to slow down through all the busyness in their life and think about what they are actually doing and how one decision whether it is good or bad can affect others and not just themselves.

When students read habitudes they are learn about ownership and how to manage old, new, and upcoming opportunities.  

These books are also used in schools all across the world and probably will be used for a very long time.

Side 2:

Is it really fair to make students 15+ years read instead of allowing them to do their homework in Bulldog time? I feel not allowing students to work on homework during their free time isn’t a sensible action. I can understand having younger children read in an attempt to get them to enjoy books or to strengthen their reading abilities. It doesn’t seem very reasonable to have a high schooler, who has a lot of experience reading, to give up valuable time to read. Most high school students have been reading since kindergarten and read every day, even if it isn’t a book. Often times homework involves reading, as well as their everyday classes.

Many students are expected to have a part-time job, as well as participate in extracurriculars and clubs after school. Studies show that to be our best we need 8 hours of sleep. Kids also enjoy spending time with their friends or family. This leaves them with little time for the large amount of homework they often receive. With no time allotted for homework completion in class, it is impossible for kids to finish it.  Bulldog time could provide a critical window for students to study and improve their academic performance.

“If you have extracurricular things you have to do or want to do after school, it doesn’t give you enough time to do your homework. You come to schools expecting to have thirty minutes to catch up, but instead, you’re forced to read. You lose valuable homework time. This can cause some students to fail.” – Haylie Hoaglund says when asked about the issue.

Its nearly impossible to keep up as it is, but when students miss a day or two, they are scrambling for every extra second to complete their assignments on time. Being forced to read when you have the opportunity to knock out a paper or two is very frustrating. Many of us are not functioning at our full potential because of the strain school puts on us.

Danielle Shick, a junior, feels the same way, “Your overrun with school work, activities, work, clubs and you have a bit of free time and you’re forced to read even though you have many more different important things to do.” she said, “Bulldog time can be the only time kids are able to get their homework done as some kids can’t make it to study sessions like ELO.”

Habitudes, or a daily lesson of the like, aren’t bad. I enjoy having something like that in our curriculum, however, being forced to read books (some kids would read for fun) doesn’t help the students timewise at all. A student could be accomplishing so much more during that time.

Martika Campbell agrees, saying tha, “Reading isn’t bad, but if your going to take up all of our time at least teach us something we can use in the future, like how to balance a checkbook or do our taxes.”