Hurricane Florence

Abby Madden, Staff Reporter

Hurricane Florence is a Cape Verde, category four class hurricane. This hurricane has been affecting many states on the east coast.

This storm affected many states, including North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia and West Virginia.

Florence lasted about 20 days, hitting the mainland from August 31st to September 19th.   

The storm has completed tremendous amounts of damage to the land, peoples’ houses, and also people’s’ lives.

Homes in these states have flooded immensely high amounts of water. This flooding also has caused trees to fall down and collapse on rooftops of families’ homes.

People were traveling down the streets in boats instead of cars. The news showed first responders fighting their way through the water to save others who were in danger.  

More than 12,000 people fled from the North Carolina town of New Bern. New Bern had been affected the most during the storm and its people are now scattered throughout 126 dry shelters in the state. However there were still over 100 people trapped in this town of New Bern.

There were about 343,000 people without power to run air conditioning, the lights, and even the heater. This storm also crippled coal, solar, and wind energies income.

During the storm, Florence also caused many deaths in the three states that were affected. Among these states there were 43 reported deaths of civilians. These deaths sadly include two mentally handicapped women, at least five children and several adults. The number may continue to rise.

This storm has made its way to the U.S.’s top 10 most expensive hurricanes in history, including over 50 billion dollars worth of damage to multiple towns.  Major damage to multiple businesses, houses, and other buildings will also raise those numbers.

Because the storm is over with, both of the Carolinas are working together to rebuild. Many organizations, including the American Red Cross, the Afya Foundation, and also the Food Bank of Eastern and Central North Carolina are pitching in. These organizations have been helping to provide drinking water, food, clothes, shelters, and emergency help for those who are in need.

Hurricane Florence has created an immense struggle for the people of the Carolinas and West Virginia, but now the focus is to help rebuild and recover.

About the Writer
Abby Madden, Staff Reporter

I have been on staff for two years. In my free time I like to write, spend time with family and my best friends, and travel.