Monument Marathon Run

Olivia Longmore, Staff Reporter

Kristen Armstrong, an olympic athlete, once said, “There is something magical about running; after a certain distance it transcends the body. Then a bit further, it transcends the mind. A bit further yet and what you have before you, laid bare, is the soul.” If you happen to be one of these people, you have probably already heard of our local annual Monument Marathon Run. This year marks the seventh annual marathon run right here in our local town! This race includes a marathon, a half marathon, as well as a 5k race. There are also several more fun activities for both runners and non-runners that will be held by the race’s local sponsors that make this event possible.

If you are not a runner, there are many exciting events going on the day before the event including local vendors tonight at the Civic Center, a photo booth, tours of the monument, live entertainment, and even more fun activities you can be involved in. All of them are hosted tonight September 27th from 12-9 p.m. at the Gering Civic Center where you can also pick up an expo packet about the event the following morning. Additionally, there will be an all you can eat spaghetti feed hosted in the same location tonight from 5-8 p.m. for the small fee of $10. All of this leads up to the runners trekking through their races.

Marathon runners will be departing from 6:15-6:45 from the Five Rocks amphitheater to the starting line. There will be free parking for all runners and the race will start promptly at 7:30. The 5k runners will begin line up at 7:45 with their race beginning at 8. At approximately noon there will be an award ceremony hosted for 5k, half marathon, and full marathon runners. Maps for each course can be found on their flyers online (see link at bottom). If you are not a runner, but are still interested in being a part of this local event there are stations around the course to cheer the runners on as well as handing out water if needed. If you are interested in learning more about this event visit their website or check out their flyer! The best of luck to all the runners!

About the Writer
Olivia Longmore, Staff Reporter

I am involved in mock trial, female lead in one act, speech, musical, tennis, Girl Scouts, jazz band, color guard, audition for honor choirs and all-state,...