NFL players take stand by peacefully protesting

CHARLOTTE, NC - SEPTEMBER 18: Eric Reid #35 and Colin Kaepernick #7 of the San Francisco 49ers kneel on the sideline, during the anthem, prior to the game against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium on September 18, 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Panthers defeated the 49ers 46-27. (Photo by Michael Zagaris/San Francisco 49ers/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Adam Flowers, Staff Reporter

The definition of “civil disobedience” is the refusal to comply with certain laws or to pay taxes and fines, as a peaceful form of political protest. The display of NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem is a form of civil disobedience. In this situation, there are mixed opinions, whether people agree with this or disagree with it.

In the past, people have peacefully protested by breaking the law. If Rosa Parks wouldn’t have moved off of her seat after she was requested to move, then we most likely wouldn’t have had the civil rights movement, allowing black people to have basic human rights. If Susan B. Anthony wouldn’t have protested the right to vote, then women today would still be dead in the eyes of men and the law.

Yes, these women and other people who have wanted a change may have broken the law and disrespected people, but they had one thing in common, which was oppression. In their path, they never hurt anyone. They peacefully protested, therefore exercising the term “civil disobedience.”

In the case today, NFL players are kneeling during the National Anthem. That is a form of civil disobedience. They aren’t hurting anyone. Yes, they are disrespecting people, but if you believe in something, then you should be able to express that.

We do multiple things with the flag that are considered to be disrespectful, like draping the flag over their shoulders, for example. Yet, we are so blinded by so much that we often forget that wearing the flag is just as much as a disrespect as not standing during the National Anthem.

The kneeling for the flag was started by Colin Kaepernick, who played for the San Francisco 49ers. His reasoning was because of the “Black Lives Matter” movement.

“Black Lives Matter” is a very violent protest movement. Cars were turned over, buildings were vandalized, and people died, therefore that was the opposite of civil disobedience.

Personally, I don’t believe when someone uses an excuse, for say something in the Constitution or something apart of their religion, just to hate on someone. If you don’t believe in something and if it doesn’t pertain to you and your life, then you shouldn’t always have to throw your opinions into the situation. For example, the Westboro Baptist Church from Topeka, Kansas, picketing at soldier’s funerals. It doesn’t pertain to them, so, therefore, they shouldn’t always have to be involved.

Because of that statement, I don’t feel the need to be involved with the whole situation. Sure, it’s good to stay informed with the news and everyone has their opinions, but it doesn’t pertain to me in any way, except the fact that I do have family that is apart of the military and relatives that have served in the past.

What I’m trying to say is that you can peacefully protest and express your beliefs, but it doesn’t necessarily have to pertain to everyone. Everyone has their opinions but it’s not always your place to share your opinion.