Filed under Showcase, Sports

Cross Country finished strong at first meet

Ready, set, bang! The Gering Cross Country Team had their first competitive meet on Sept. 1, held at the Five Rocks Amphitheater

A plethora of schools from Nebraska and a few from Wyoming came to the meet to compete. There were team scores for small and large schools in the jr. high and varsity races; there were no team scores for jr. varsity.

The course was challenging, with multiple hills, lots of dust and dirt and temperatures for that day reaching into the 90-degree range.

The Bulldog girls finished with 63 points in the large school division, placing them 3rd in the team scores. Scottsbluff placed 1st with 30 points.

Sophomore Morgan VanAnne was the top Gering girls finisher, placing 14th. Behind her was Senior Carlier Sides, placing 15th; Makenna Culek, Sophomore, placed 16th, Tukker Romey, Sophomore, 17th, and Nicole Patton, Senior, 19th.

“I thought our girls performed well,” said Gering coach, Rick Marez.

Boys scored 74 points, getting 4th place and Casper Kelly Walsh placed 1st with 23.

Senior Xavier Arellano took 4th place and was Gering’s top finisher. Andres Canales, Senior, placed 30th; Junior Logan Moravec, unfortunately, could not finish due to an injury that happened early in the race.

“Xavier loves to come out fast, and it was good to see him come out in front, running with some enjoyment again,” said Marez.

The next Cross Country meet will be held on Sept. 7, in the rival town of Chadron.