Softball falls at McCook Invite

Bailie Staab, Staff Reporter

On Saturday Sept. 2, the softball lady bulldogs competed in the McCook invitational tournament. The team placed 4th overall, while competing with 4 other schools.

The team won their first game against Gothenburg (8-3) before competing against the McCook Bison (14-1) and the North Platte Bulldogs (13-1).

Head Coach Tim Gonzales said he was pleased with his team’s effort on the field.

After the win over McCook in the previous game last week, Gonzales said that the team might have led into over confidence going into the second game.

“That is what we are preaching to to these kids is that you have to be ready for every game no matter who they are because if you are not the are going to hand it to you.”

“We came out and played Gothenburg and got a bunch of hits. Then came back facing McCook again like we did the previous weekend. We really put it to them and this weekend we came out flat footed against McCook,” he said. “There were some hits in the game, but we couldn’t get anything together. They definitely put it to us.”

“Grand Island Central Catholic then beat North Platte and that put us up against a district opponent in North Platte. They had us timed and they hit the ball and we didn’t execute with the hitting. It was two tough losses, but I really like playing those games.”

In the winning game against Gothenburg, Tori Hoagland struck out five and allowed only seven hits, finishing at the plate with 15 hits.

Kaetlyn Todd led the offence with three hits and 2-run home run in the first inning. She also had three RBIs. Along with Todd, Kenzie Schlaepfer had three singles, two stolen bases, and two RBIs.

Bobbie Claflin had two hits along with two RBIs. Paige Peterson also had two hits as well.

In the Bulldogs’ second game McCook posted a 14-1 game win, leaving the Bulldogs’ with a loss.

In the third game against North Platte each team scored runs in the first inning. North Platte later went ahead 3-1. North Platte’s offense went on a roll to take a 12-1 lead against the bulldogs.  

Gering was led offensively by Claflin with two singles and a scored run.