Golf takes Western Conference title

Ethan Gompert, Sports Editor

The Gering girls golfers managed to prevail as the Western Conference Championship by edging Scottsbluff ina 2-Hole playoff.

Both the Bulldog’s and Bearcats finished with identical scores of 374. Then the top four scorers from each squad faced off in a playoff.

“It was an exciting day,” Gering head coach Jessica Boswell said. “They were nervous when they put the scores up there and we were tied. They had to calm down a little bit and refocus because they thought they were done golfing for the day. None of them have ever had to do that before, so it was a new experience for them.”

Boswell said the win was a special one because it was the first time gering has won Western Conference in the last five years.

“This is my fifth year coaching and it’s the first time we’ve won conference,” she said. “The girls were really excited, even a little more than just a regular meet because it was our conference meet.”

This was the third team title of the season as the Lady Bulldogs won at Sidney and Scottsbluff.

Senior Ashley Maschmeier continued to lead individually on Tuesday as she earned a sixth-place medal with a round of 89. Maschmeier’s play and leadership have been tremendous for the team this season.

Joining Maschmeier as a top-10 medalist for Gering was sophomore Ali Boswell, who placed seventh with a 90. Sophomore Avery Mitchell also medaled in ninth with a 97.

The Lady Bulldog golfers head to Lexington for the Lexington Invitational on Friday, September 10.