Gering Volleyball Tournament

Jenna Balthazor, Staff Reporter

The Gering volleyball team competed at Gillett this weekend in the Campbell County Volleyball tournament. On Friday they played a total of three games as well as on Saturday. Their first game on Friday was against Billings, Montana. The Bulldogs went three sets with Billings and came out winning the game after fighting a tough battle.

“I was very, very proud of them. They hung in there.” Head coach, Amanda Cochran said. This is her first year of coaching for Gering High School.

Junior, Arianna Mitchell led the bulldogs in kills with a total of ten. Makenzie Dunkel had a total of six. Brittney Sprier put up a total of ten set assists and Jenna Balthazor with nine.

In the next game, which was against Thunder Basin High School the bulldogs fell to the bolts in just two sets.

Mitchell only recorded three kills that game and Carlee Brester finished with four blocks. Zoee Smith dug up nine digs that game.

Gering then came back from that loss with a win over Cheyenne South. They defeated Cheyenne in just two sets.

Olivia Schaub had four kills. Dunkel left the game with three ace serves and Mitchell tallied two digs.

Cochran said that overall the day went OK. “It was a very average day,” she said. “We’re looking for great passing so that we can run our offense. We’ve got to work hard in the back row so our front row can have fun.”

The record for the girls on Friday put them in the silver division on Saturday. They started off the day with a win over Rocks Springs. They defeated Springs in just two sets. That win then placed the bulldogs playing Sheridan. They fell to Sheridan in just two sets.

In the game for third and fourth place the lady bulldogs played Rapid City Central. In a very tough battle, the bulldogs fell to Central in a heart- breaking three sets. This loss left the girls placing fourth in the tournament overrall.

“It was a great day overall,’’ Cochran said. “We played above average. It was a lot of fun.”

The bulldogs take on Chadron on Thursday at Chadron.